Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Baby Preparations

OK -- So, Ed and I have decided to finally start buying real baby stuff. Two weekends ago, we headed to the towns of Salem and Marblehead, MA to look for strollers and carriers. We ended up finding both items. HOORAY! Two less items to worry about!

We decided upon a Bugaboo Bee stroller (it came down to a Bugaboo or a Eurobaby). According to a friend of ours, she suggested that we purchase a light stroller so that our garage isn't filled with several different types of strollers for different occasions. I'm hoping that we'll be able to get by with the Bee (http://www.bugaboo.com/) for the most part.

For our carrier, we decided to purchase the Belle (http://www.bellebabycarriers.com/). We looked at quite a few and found this one to be one of the simplest. We thought about the Baby Bjorn, but after looking at one decided that it was way too complex. Besides, the last thing that I need is to be more concerned about the carrier than the baby that should be strapped into it.

Now, all we need is to find a car seat. Fortunately, our stroller has made the decision for us (the stroller has an attachment that allows us to snap a car seat into it as well). So...now all we need to do is make the effort and purchase the car seat.

I think that we're starting to get some things together for the baby's arrival. Unfortunately, we're still having a hard time finding clothes for the newborn baby. For some reason, most items are made in China and we're trying to go China free on most items (there have just been too many recalls on China made products lately for Ed and I), which is very difficult. He has a couple of onesies, but that's about it. Besides...he's just a newborn. So, how will he know that he doesn't have a wardrobe yet?

7 comments:

Patty said...

Well, you are one step closer!! I can't wait to see the little guy! Be sure to take lots of pictures! Maybe I can help you out on the clothes. You know there is so much variety here in Alaska. NOT!!! Seriously, be sure to send me your address so I can get you something! Take care! Oh, any updated pictures of you yet? Patty

Anonymous said...

Okay, I love the stroller (film was great too!). Matt and I aren't stroller people (well, we do love our Chariot jogger, bike-trailer, x-country skier combo) b/c we explore off the beaten path too much here (Okay, I do use a stroller when Matt's not around and I wear one on my back and one rides in a Chicco umbrella stroller). But, that stroller is perfect for stroller friendly cities and malls! If I were in the market for a stroller, that would be a great pick! I wonder if they make a double version...

The carrier has great fabric options and I love that it is made in the USA.

If you're ever in the market for a back carrier, I'd suggest the Ergo Baby Carrier. Jae Rin suggested it to several moms at FWA and now about 6-8 of us have them and LOVE them. Even Matt, a frame pack kind of guy, loves it (you'll see us using it all over our blog). It's for newborns on up (I prefer it for 6 months and up, however). Lila and Liv both fit comfortably in it still. Liv is over three and over 30 lbs. Frame packs like Deuter's (like a Kelty - but, we think better products than Kelty) KILL my weak back and shoulders (Matt also loves our Deuter - but, he's a frame pack kind of guy - like most/all infantry guys) and the Ergo is the only carrier in which I can wear my kids comfortably w/o killing my back and shoulders. And, it's a space-saver. The Ergo now comes in organic cotton options and the company is committed to fair labor and the global environment. They have extensive info on their website about their practices.

I share your concern about clothing/China. I have found it is an expensive endeavor to find clothes not made in China. And, many USA made clothes are either expensive or of poor quality. I try to stick with L.L. BEAN and Lands End who, according to their websites, closely monitor the practices of their suppliers and try very hard to make sure proper compliences and practices are met. Here are a few sites I recommend for organic, fair trade clothing:

http://www.nubiusorganics.com

http://www.katequinnorganics.com/

http://www.ourgreenhouse.com/foundations/store/shopcart.asp this site looks good and sells Isabooties. They are made in the USA and great. I recently bought them as a gift.

Also, www.ecochildsplay.com is a blog that has great resources for toys, clothes, food, safe and eco-friendly infant and child shampoos and lotions, and general eco-friendly, fair-trade reviews and recommendations for earth-friendly parenting/living.

Currently, we use California Baby products such as shampoo, body wash, sunscreen. Pricey, but the stuff doesn't sting my kids eyes, is made in the US, developed by a mom, has no parabens, etc. I also like Burt's Bees. But they were just bought out by Clorox and I'm uncertain of their practices. I have to do research to decide if I should buy Burts Bees again.

Okay, sorry for the long comment! Looks like you're off to a great start!

The Matthaidess' said...

Patty -- No I don't have any updated pictures of me:-( I'm not quite sure if I want to memorialize my weight gain. We'll see if I'm up to it within the next couple of days.

Natalie -- Thanks for all of the website information. I really like some of the websites that you sent. I explored them a little yesterday and already have a couple ideas:-)

Kellie

Anonymous said...

Hi - Angie's sister in law, Christal, here - just checking in now that we have settled in a bit to MA. Would enjoy meeting you guys - We are in Marshfield - don't know where that is in relation to you though. Oh and our kid was a huge follow through burper and we went through dozens and dozens of onesies in the first few months - the more the better. Our laundry went up to a load or two every day! Crazy! So if you are also concerned about laundry detergents you might want to look into sensitive hypoallergenic ones now - before bub arrives. please leave a message on our blog if you want to catch up . Cheers.

The Matthaidess' said...

Christal,

It's great to hear that you guys found a place to stay. I hope that you're enjoying your time in MA.

I mapquested your town in relationship to our town. According to Mapquest, Marshfield is about 35 miles/~45 minutes from Medford. If you guys want to get together, Ed and I will be around town for about another week (currently, we are getting ready to move to VA). Please feel free to e-mail or call us, if you guys are able to get together prior to our departure. If you have any questions about town or the surrounding towns, please feel free to contact us as well.

Thank you for the baby advice -- the closer the day gets, the more advice I'll need:-)

Kellie

Angie said...

I can't imagine only having one stroller, though it would be nice! And, we're on our 6th baby carrier. Hopefully, you will like yours better.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Girl, How are you? How is the little one? Growing fast and getting ready to make his presence into this crazy world. Hope the move went well and you are all getting settled in VA.
Update when you can so we know how you're holding up. 20some days until little man arrives!!