This past Saturday, Ed and I decided to visit a dairy farm,
South Mountain Creamery, in Maryland. The dairy farm was holding their yearly Harvest Festival. When we arrived, there were a ton of people there. I was kind of surprised to see so many people interested in the dairy. As we stepped out of the car with Tate, Tate had this strange look on his face. Not really a gross face, but one that wasn’t really pleasant or unhappy (it almost seemed like he smelled the air with his tongue – his facial expression was kind of strange and funny at the same time). It was a different kind of smell and I think that he was taking it all in. And yes, it smelled like manure – what farm doesn’t?
We walked around and checked out the dairy. They had several sampling booths, “farm” toys for kids to play with, baby animals for the kids to meet, and they showed how they milked the cows. It was a lot of fun. At the end of the day, Ed and I purchased several items from the dairy and we are quite happy with the quality. I always try to support local farms and prefer to purchase items from local farms, if possible.
I’ll leave you guys with some pictures of the farm and Tate with Daddy (Oh, and Ed had to hold Tate away from the calf because it kept wanting to lick Tate)…



3 comments:
Oh, how cute! I think it's great that you're going local!
When we move to Kansas next year, I'm hoping they have a local health food co-op and local farms and dairies I can get to know too. My goal is to do as much "buy local" as I can, depending on what the local practices are (I prefer free grazing, growth hormone free, etc.). I don't know how much I'll figure out during our one year there - but, we'll see...
Those are really cute photos with the cows.
I LOVE the licking cow... That is too cute.
Post a Comment